Thursday, March 26, 2015

How to avoid looking like, or being such a tourist in NYC

New York City, home of 54.3 million tourists a year. Everywhere you turn in New York City you will probably be able to spot one. Most native New Yorkers sigh or made snide remarks when they even hear the word tourists. I’m not going to lie, sometimes they get in the way and it gets a little frustrating, but I’m not here to bash or hate on them. Even when they walk zero mph and get in my way I still love seeing people coming to visit my city.  I’m here to help you enjoy New York City without being or looking like such a tourist.

Before you come to New York learn how to walk as fast as you can and how to dodge people as you walk. Nothing annoys New Yorkers more than tourists who walk slower than snails, side by side, blocking entire sidewalks. It makes me want to scream and lose my shit. Furthermore, if you are going to stop and look at a map or up at tall building, please pull over to the side of the sidewalk unless you want to get shouldered or arm barred across your chest. You’re not in the suburbs of Indiana or South Carolina; people have places to be at all times of the day and night in New York. 

Don’t be afraid to ask for directions. I myself cant even read those subway maps; however learn to approach the right people when asking. Don’t walk up to people with headphones on or people who look like they are in a hurry. I am 100% sure they are going to point in any direction and have you walking the wrong way. If someone doesn’t take at the very least four seconds to answer, they are lying to you just so you will leave them alone. Don’t be afraid to ask a cop or the guys who sell Halal food (the food trucks run by Indian guys that smell amazing) unless they are busy with a customer, they’ll most likely help you out.

Stop dressing like Steve Irwin (R.I.P.). I can’t even count how many families I see walking around that look like a family of Australian crocodile hunters. Enough of the Bermuda shorts and the sunglasses that Nascar drivers wear, and for the love of all things that are good please stop wearing I love New York shirts. They are meant for you to buy and wear back in your hometowns. I truly appreciate that you love New York I honestly do, just please don’t wear those shirts in the city, they scream tourist. We know you love New York, that’s why you’re here.

Stop visiting cliché tourist spots. Yes the Statue of Liberty and holy shit there is so many people and tall buildings in Times Square but to be honest, it’s overrated. New Yorkers tend to avoid these places at all costs. I myself dread passing through Times Square even if it’s transferring to another train underground. If you want to see what New York City is all about, lose the map and just get lost in it. Just try avoiding ending up in places like Jamaica Queens, Flatbush Brooklyn, or Fordham Road in The Bronx. You’re going to see amazing and cool things everywhere you go. As great as they are New York City has a lot more to offer than tall buildings to look at or landmarks that literally everyone knows about or sees pictures of. If you want to see beautiful architecture you should check out places Riverside Drive, Greenwich Village and many places in Brooklyn.

Stop eating at major chain restaurants. Oh my goodness, do not go to the Red Lobster at 42nd street. There are over 24,000 restaurants in New York City and if you tell me you ate at an Olive Garden I might just punch you in the chest. You have to hit spots like Amy Ruth’s in Harlem, Tino’s Deli on Arthur Avenue, or one of my personal favorites Baohaus on 14th street. The amount of food within New York City is outstanding, so please stay away from fast food spots and Applebee’s.

All in all tourists aren’t that annoying. Most of you just need a little direction when it comes to the city. It can be overwhelming and very confusing especially if you do not come from a metropolitan area yourself. Just change your mindset from being a tourist to being an urban explorer. The most fun I have in the city are the days I wander for ten hours straight with no set plan of what I’m doing. If you have a schedule set for your visit please make room for a day to just explore other parts of Manhattan besides midtown and the other boroughs, you won’t regret it.

1 comment:

  1. "You have to hit spots like Amy Ruth’s in Harlem, Tino’s Deli on Arthur Avenue"

    How're they going to go to Arthur Ave if they avoid Fordham like you recommended in an earlier paragraph?

    Poseur.

    ReplyDelete